College Meditations

Today I was sitting in a chair in the library and I was trying to write a sonnet about makeup and in the back of my mind I was debating whether or not I should buy a Cosmic Brownie from the vending machine and a girl walked past me with a giant hoodie on and she was just eating a PB&J (without a bag or a napkin or anything) and looking like she had 4 midterms to take that she hadn't studied for. And I just thought to myself "this is what college life is." Then a dad with his little girl walked by and the little girl said " daddy, what is everyone doing?" and he said "they're studying" and she said "why?" and he said "because they're in college. This seemed to make sense to her because she didn't say anything else and instead solemnly looked around at all the silent people hunched over their books and laptops. She was probably 2 but I wonder if this will be her permanent view of what college is like (or supposed to be like). 
And then I went to the vending machine and bought a cosmic brownie. 

Comments

Popular Posts